Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Life Lessons To Be Remembered By

I haven't settled on a good name for this day of the week, but "What's up Wednesday," is where it is leaning this week.  "What's up" can cover any current event in my life or the community.  Last night we hit 1000 views since beginning this blog in April and I almost wrote an entire article about that, but this morning I got some news that changed all my plans.

This post is dedicated to my sweet and spunky Grandma Liston, who passed away peacefully in her sleep this morning.  What a GREAT example of how to live life.  Here are a few of the hundreds of lessons that she taught me over the years:

  • My grandma taught me that no matter what happens, you should always finish what you start.
  • You should clean up after yourself immediately, don't ever let the grass grow or the dust settle.
  • You should get dressed and comb your hair before leaving your bedroom in the morning, because if you don't someone will inevitable come to your door and see you in your undies.
  • Never give up on the people you love.  She was an amazing example of this!
  • When people come to visit, STOP everything you are doing and sit down to spend quality time talking with them.  Just like this picture, from our recent trip to Utah...you never know when it is going to by your last time together.
  • Stay active in your community.  I remember her going to fashion shows and meetings for the "Orem Women's Club" for years.  I really think a big part of why she lived to be nearly 99, in such great physical condition is because she never stopped being active in the things around her...besides, you have to stay in shape if all the other ladies are going to critique you at every meeting, right?
  • Take time to "Visit the Old People."  She called everyone with gray hair and wrinkles old.  She would visit ailing friends strangers in the care center my grandpa was in and say she was going to visit the "old people"...even though some of them were 20 years younger than her.
  • Good things are worth waiting for, and when the time is right you will know...or she would tell you.  I remember the day that Linda and I were visiting her (we used to go every Monday night, grandma night, when we worked together at Nu Skin) and I told her and Joyce about this young guy I was dating and they both said that if I didn't snatch him up the next time he came calling that they would cut my head open and look for loose screws.  He was WELL worth the wait, and I'm glad that they helped steer me to him.  I wouldn't be where I am today, with these cute kids and this happy marriage, if I hadn't had that visit with my Grandma Liston.
  • Last, but not least...people die in bed.  Fitting that she was able to go the way she always wanted to, peacefully, in her sleep...in bed, just like she always said people do.  So, jump out of bed every morning, prance across the floor (to show that you've still got a spring in your step, like Grandma Liston), and thank God that you are alive and have one more day to experience life on this earth.  
These are only a few of the lessons and habits I will remember my grandma for.  I could sit here for hours typing about all the amazing and silly things I learned from her, but as it is, we have decided to travel to Utah... tomorrow.  AJ will stay behind for school and I will take the kids for the funeral and to help the family take care of things until mid August.  The internet isn't so fantastic there, so...don't be surprised if my blog starts to slack a little.  I will do my best to get 5 days a week in, but I make no promises.  

Thank you for all your support and...

Thank you for over 1000 page views!!!

6 comments:

  1. She sounds like a fabulous lady who left a remarkable legacy for her posterity. Thanks for sharing some insight into who she was. :) And travel safely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally figured out how to reply!!! Thanks Ari...you are a great friend!

      Delete
  2. Great commentary about life lessons from Grandma! I think we all have a few and obviously wouldn't be here or the kind of people we are without her! Thanks for sharing such beautiful thoughts and what you've learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maryann! I still don't believe she is gone.

      Delete
  3. Thank you. Your Grandmother was amazing. And she did take the time sit and visit. My Dad is her first cousin. When my mother was having cancer treatments in Salt Lake she was able to come home (Hurricane) on the week-ends. She was so sick, we would stop at your grandmothers. What I remember most is her kindness to us. Always had some soup ready for my mom. Great example for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeannine! I had to take a second look at your name because it's so close to mine, haha. That sounds just like my grandma. She loved to visit and probably thought the world of you and your mom, or she wouldn't have made you soup :-)

      Delete