Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Comfrey Green Drink...Delicious, Healthy and a Rare Treat!


Comfrey Green Drink



Waking up with the sun has given me so much more energy!  This morning, as I looked around at our beautiful flower garden I felt inspired to make one of my favorite childhood treats, Green Drink.  Not just any green drink...Comfrey Green Drink.  This plant is AMAZING!  I have seen so many miracles with it.  My favorite quality is that it is a cell proliferant, meaning that it causes the cells to replicate at an increased speed.  For most cells this is a really good thing, but for cancer this is a very bad thing.  In my opinion, I believe this is why the FDA makes anyone selling it label the container "for external use only."  Well, I am certainly not selling this amazing drink, and I caution you to drink it at your own risk.  With that said, if you happen to be in one of my classes, or  you happen to be eating at my dinner table during the right season, I just might happen to have a pitcher full in the fridge or on the table and I wouldn't stop you from having a glass.

ps. Did you know that Comfrey is a giving plant, and considered by many to be a weed?  The more you take from it, the more it gives you.  It is almost as if when you pull 1 leaf, 2 more grow in its place.  I transplanted a few leaves from my parents home last summer and we now have 9 flourishing plants...from leaves!  We brought them wrapped in wet paper towels (on a 12 hour car ride).  When we got home I put them in a big glass full of water then I forgot about them for about 2 weeks.  After I forgave myself for being careless, I finally planted them (and their brand new roots, which sprouted after only a few days in the water) in flower pots and about 2 days later new leaves were sprouting.  You can almost see them growing.  You can measure the leaf in the morning and see that by night fall it has doubled or quadrupled in size.  It is such a sturdy plant that when we transplanted it from the flower pot to the garden (that had accidentally been sprayed with ground clear the day before) it faltered a bit then flourished, despite all odds.  AND the empty flower pot, after sitting in the hot sun, (with no water for about 3 weeks) randomly began sprouting more comfrey plants after a rainstorm.  If this plant can do all this, it is no wonder to me that it can heal chipped bone and skin that has been shredded by the road burn of a motor cycle accident (just a few of the miracles I have seen with it).

Comfrey Green Drink


Ingredients:
6-10 Comfrey leaves, cleaned (usually 8-12 inches long)
1 quart of your favorite home canned fruit (with juice) or nectar/juice (Peaches are my favorite)
Large can of Pineapple Juice (46 oz, give or take)
Water (2-4 cups, to taste)



  1. Blend and strain the comfrey with 2 to 4 cups  of water (more or less depending on the desired consistency and strength of the flavor).
  1. Blend the bottled fruit 
  1. Open the pineapple juice and combine all ingredients in a pitcher.
  1. Add ice and enjoy!










Kids LOVE it.  We had a fun family over for dinner the other night and their sweet 2 year son devoured it almost as quickly as Amelia.  When she woke up this morning and heard that I was making green drink she said "Oh! Green DRINK??" and she took off running for the kitchen before I had the chance to get her dressed.  She asked for it all day log and even made an attempt at pouring it herself when I didn't respond fast enough.  Our kitchen rug has a new look to it, but Amelia was the happiest little girl because she did it herself.

Caution:  The leaves have protective hair like quills (if I can even call them that) and every once in a while I get a "comfrey sliver."  It's more annoying than anything, but if this possibility bothers you, I suggest wearing gloves while picking and blending it.

Variations:  You can add just about any fruit.  I have used bananas, pears, apples, fresh peaches, grapes and more...but this is the time tested version that is our family favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment