Monday, April 21, 2014

My body has a built in alarm clock!

My body has a built in alarm clock!

I forgot to set the alarm clock last night, but I discovered that none of that matters because I have a built in alarm clock.  My mom used to tell me about it growing up.  She never set an alarm but always seemed to wake up before all of us.  She would tell me that before you go to bed you just look at the (real) clock and imagine seeing the time that you want to wake up on it then go to sleep and the next time you open your eyes it will be that time.  It didn’t quite happen that way for me last night, waking up with babies throughout the night changes the game a bit, but I woke up just in time to get myself ready and walk calmly outside at the perfect time to watch the sunrise…or sort of sunrise.  As I was getting ready this morning, in complete shock that I woke up on my own, I was thinking “what happens on stormy days, when the sun doesn’t come out?”  Well, I guess when you reset your body clock and your natural alarm starts kicking in, so does an innate connection with nature, because it was an overcast morning.  So, not knowing how that would change the game I took a camp chair and a book out and started my day with reading something positive (another thing that I preach about in my classes).  It was the perfect reading light and everything worked out so well.  I didn’t actually get “hit with the sun rays,” but I did get to let the photo sensors in my eyes adjust slowly and naturally as the sky got brighter.  I read for about 15 minutes and went inside to make breakfast with just as much energy as the rest of the week.
Here are my observations, so far, with this challenge:
  • Watching the sun rise is like drinking a glass of coffee (I assume). 
  • It gives me a burst of energy that lasts throughout the morning.         
  • It melts away the tension in my body and wakes up my muscles.
  • I feel stronger and have a desire to exercise (don’t tell my husband!).
  • I find myself “moving” more throughout the day (less desire to sit).
  • I am losing weight.  (3 to 5 lbs since starting the challenge! AWESOME side effect!).
  • I find myself filled with motivation, making me a bit more supermom-ish.
  • I notice fewer slumps or tendencies to feel sorry for myself (less depressed)
  • I have a desire to cook and eat.  Almost like my metabolism is higher.
  • I have been ravenously hungry (barely made it through church without gnawing an arm off).
  • I’m making decisions more easily.
  • I’m de-cluttering my house and my life.
  • I’m reaching out to loved ones who live far away more often.
  • I’m getting more work done than usual.

Overall…so far this has been a very worthwhile challenge.  No wonder I have been preaching about it in my classes for so long, haha.  It’s the one thing that I’ve learned about but haven’t done on a regular basis.  I never saw the benefit of me doing it.  I always thought that it was something that only “sick people should do.”  Well, I dare say that I will be recommending it for EVERYONE from here on out.  

2 comments:

  1. I think those side effects sound pretty darn awesome. Also, totally noticed you lost weight-forgot to tell you in the hustle and bustle of church yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete