Friday, June 20, 2014

Vinegar and Honey


One of my most requested recipes for health is "Vinegar and Honey."  It is so beneficial and so easy that it is no surprise.

Here are a few of the reasons that you would drink it:

  • Sore Throat and/or cough (drink warm or cold, add a dash of cayenne pepper to cut mucous)
  • Sore muscles (especially great after a tough workout or intense foot zone, drink hot for faster results)
  • Weight loss
  • Digestive issues
  • Overall health
  • I've also read that it can help with joint pain/arthritis, constipation, acne, heartburn, bad breath and more, but the 5 above are the ones that I will highlight today).

Vinegar and Honey

1 heaping tbsp of honey*
3 scant tbsp's Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg's is my favorite brand)
6 to 8 oz water


I put the honey into the glass I'm going to drink from and use the same spoon to measure the vinegar (because the vinegar helps dissolve the honey still on the spoon and that is how I get a "scant Tbsp").  If I am making it for sore muscles I turn the tap water on hot while I measure the honey and vinegar then I add 6-8 oz (about 1 cup, whatever fits comfortably in the glass I have chosen to drink out of) of the hottest tap water I can muster and stir until the honey is completely dissolved.  I like to sip is slowly, especially if it is for a sore throat because it provides so much relief.  If you chug it when you have a sore throat it misses the throat and just aids with digestion, providing very little relief for the throat.  My husband used to drink the whole glass in about 2 swallows and then he would complain that it wasn't helping when he was sick.  Once I explained "why" we drink it slowly he has seen tremendous results and often requests it when he feels any kind of illness coming on.
For weight loss or digestive issues, I would make a large concentrated batch of the vinegar and honey to store in the fridge, then I would add it to water and drink 1/2 to 1 diluted cup 15 minutes before each meal. 

As for General good health.  I once heard of a very elderly woman who was interviewed about what she thought she did that made her live for so long and her response was "I drink my vinegar every day."  By drinking apple cider vinegar every day it has been said to aid with blood pressure (I assume because it cleans out your veins and arteries similar to the way it cleans hard mineral deposits off any surface you use it for cleaning, etc.) and aid with digestion (something about kick starting your metabolism).  I would offer a word of warning if you are prone to ulcers because I'm not sure what daily doses of vinegar would do to the stomach over time.  It's probably good for it, but I don't have any experience with it, so do your research before trying it out.

*Make sure the only ingredient listed in the ingredient section of the label is 100% honey, there has been a recent trend of companies claiming on the front of the label that it is 100% pure, and the tiny part that they use is...but if you look at the ingredients you will see that the first ingredient listed is actually corn syrup and honey is just added for color and flavor.  FYI...Otter Pops are another classic illustration of this deceptive claim.  If you read the fine print you will see that they only use a small percentage of actual juice, but because the small percentage is "100% juice" they are able to make the misleading claim on the front of the package.

***Note***This is not a prescription of any type, these are only the things that I do or would do in a particular situation.  You should always do your own research before jumping in.

p.s. If you do a quick Google search you will find many variations on this recipe.  Many people add things like lemon, garlic, jalapenos or onion to the mix to boost the results.  I have used many of these variations over time, but I love the basics, and no matter how much I wander away, I always seem to come back to this recipe.  It's the one my mom used on me growing up and that I use in my family today.

No comments:

Post a Comment