Friday, June 13, 2014

Water...the Dessert of the Desert


Laptops are amazing.  Tonight I am sitting on the back porch enjoying the heat of Arizona while the kids play.  It is 7:00pm and 103 degrees and I am LOVING it!  How on earth is that possible, what has happened to this Utah girl? Shade and water seem to make all the difference in the dessert.  Water can be taken internally (like the water challenge, hint hint), or used externally to cool the body.  We are doing both.  We don't have a pool but we do have misters and they are AMAZING! Doing the water challenge I feel more hydrated than I used to be.  The challenge has not had the obvious effects that I anticipated. I have studied the benefits and sort of expected to experience more of them by now.  I really thought that I would have daily updates, similar to the wake up with the sun challenge, but the 
changes I am noticing are a little more subtle.  

Does being hydrated help you acclimatize more quickly to extreme temperatures?

Honestly, my research doesn't come up with any evidence supporting or deflating this idea, but based on my personal experience's in Utah, Alaska and in Arizona, I suspect that it helps in both heat and cold.  Everything that I found was about heat... that seems to be what is consuming my life right now...it's hard to imagine anything cold when a popsicle melts faster than you can inhale it...and there was no proof, only opinion articles. So, let me add my opinion.  I adjust more quickly when I am hydrated so I vote that you should drink more water.  Out here in the heat of the desert the warmer it gets the more a glass of cool water tastes like dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment